- Eredivisie club Fortuna Sittard, in partnership with Chiliz, have announced they will launch the $FOR Fan Token on blockchain-based fan engagement and rewards platform Socios.com.
- Fan Token owners can access benefits including voting rights in club polls, VIP rewards, ‘super-fan’ recognition, club & sponsor promotions, games and chat forums.
- Fortuna Sittard will become the first Dutch club to launch a Fan Token on Socios.com, joining 22 leading sporting organisations, including FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and AC Milan.
- Details on the launch date for the $FOR Fan Token, the price and the first poll will be revealed soon. The maximum supply of $FOR Fan Tokens will be 1 million.
- Socios.com has been downloaded by more than 500,000 fans around the world in 1 year, with the current market cap on Fan Tokens in excess of $160M. Fan Tokens generated $30M for clubs and partners in 2020 and look set to become a powerful new revenue stream for the sports industry. Many more major clubs are set to launch Fan Tokens in 2021.
SITTARD FEBRUARY 23RD 2021: Fortuna Sittard, in partnership with fintech blockchain company Chiliz, have announced plans to launch a $FOR Fan Token on the blockchain-based fan engagement and rewards platform Socios.com in the coming months.
Fortuna Sittard have consistently embraced digital innovation, becoming the first club in the Netherlands to launch an integrated app where you can buy your match tickets from and the first club to use WhatsApp as a communication tool with their fans.
$FOR Fan Tokens will massively increase the club’s ability to engage with its supporters, with fans able to access a wide range of benefits, including the right to vote in multiple club decisions each season, VIP rewards & experiences, exclusive club and sponsor promotions, games, competitions and ‘super-fan’ recognition.
The club joins a list of 22 major sporting organizations who have partnered with Socios.com to launch Fan Tokens, including FC Barcelona, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, AC Milan, AS Roma, Atlético de Madrid, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor. Leading esports organizations Team Heretics, NAVI, OG and Alliance have all launched Fan Tokens on the platform, while UFC have signed a global fan engagement agreement and fellow MMA organisation the Professional Fighters League will launch a Fan Token in the coming months. More major clubs are set to launch Fan Tokens in the near future.
Powered by the utility token Chiliz $CHZ, Socios.com is one of the most active non-financial, consumer-facing mainstream blockchain products in the world and in just over a year it has been downloaded by more than 500,000 people.
Fan Tokens generated over $30M USD in revenue in 2020 that was shared with Socios.com clubs and partners. In late December and early January several Fan Tokens were listed on major global exchanges, including Binance, driving significant activity, with Paris Saint-Germain ($PSG) and Juventus ($JUV) trading volumes hitting a 24 hour high of $300M in late December.
Details on the launch date for the $FOR Fan Token, the price and the first poll will be revealed soon. The maximum supply of $FOR Fan Tokens will be 1 million.
Isitan Gun, chairman of Fortuna Sittard said: ““We are really proud that Fortuna Sittard is the first Dutch team which launches a partnership with Chiliz. This initiative underlines our position and vision as a pioneer in introducing modern practices in our league. We believe that involving our fans in our policy throughout the innovative platform Socios will create a good basis for future decisions. Especially during this time we believe it’s important to keep in touch with our fans”
Alexandre Dreyfus, CEO and Founder of Chiliz and Socios.com, said: “Fortuna Sittard have consistently embraced digital innovation in order to increase engagement with their fans, so the decision to launch a Fan Token is the next natural step.
“Fans can look forward to many more ways to engage with their favourite club as soon as the $FOR Fan Token launches, getting the opportunity to influence the club in polls, access VIP rewards, exclusive promotions, chat forums and much more on Socios.com.”